Thursday 10 July 2008

Finish Me

Granted that Metallica are one of the biggest metal bands of all time, still I've always wondered if they deserve the fame. Listening to some classic Metallica tunes today, focusing on the excellent 'Master Of Puppets' album - I can confirm than they really are that good. They have some of the most memorable hooks I've ever listened to and some very catchy smart lyrics. The guitar work is simpler than that of today's metal bands. Bullet For My Valentine, for example, were a Metallica cover band at their conception - highlighting the sheer importance on the band to the genre. Bands like Bullet For My Valentine are arguably better than Metallica, but they are not really doing anything new. Apart from the slightly quicker tempo and heavier sound they are pretty much a 21st century edition of Metallica. In my opinion, they will never reach the dizzy heights of Metallica's fame. This is because of one main reason; Metallica got their first they (among other bands of the time) gave birth to this style of music. The conviniently named Metallica are a deserving representative of the type of music they play. I get the feeling that they've already peaked and the forth-coming album will be a case of the old gents desperatingly trying t cling to and surpass their previous achievements. Only time will tell...

Pascal x

No comments: